Thursday, July 7, 2011

Targeted Training

Now that I'm on the wrong side of 40, I find it even more important to train hard and smart, not just hard. Hard means doing compound exercises until you feel like you just can't pump out one more rep - but you do. There are lots of hard work-out sites on the net, two of my favorites are Mountain Athlete and Crossfit. Smart means training your weaknesses. In the summer, I spend most of my time climbing so that means working front levers, ankles to bar, and pull-ups.

Targeted training is tough, 'cos you get tired, you get sore, and you are always working something you are not that strong in. But, when I compare the people I know who train smart and hard, to the people who train half-assed, there is a huge difference in performance. And it ain't the dumb trainers who are kicking arse.

Today, I wasn't kicking any arse, but I was happy to get back out climbing 10 days after my ankle injury. We climbed easy routes and I gotta admit, weighting that one foot was tough, but, just being outside and moving over rock was awesome.

 On a 5.7 at the 'line

No comments:

Post a Comment